- Special Sections
- Public Notices
FORT LUPTON — A collection of green-thumb volunteers has the new community garden in Fort Lupton ready to grow.
After two work days last month, the site of the new garden — at 438 Harrison Ave. on a half lot between two houses — began to resemble a suitable spot for future planting.
The property, owned by Crossroads Church Fort Lupton campus, was acquired earlier this year.
On Saturday, April 26, about 20 volunteers — including members of the Front Range Young Farmers — were on hand to install a flagstone walway sponsored by the Young Farmers. Volunteers also started on the decorative fence for the front of the garden. Additionally, students from Aims Community College worked to construct compost bins.
In the coming weeks, garden organizers hope to have water and plot layouts completed — all of which requires a degree of donations and sponsorships to help the project come together. Individuals or groups interested in sponsoring a plot are encouraged to contact Councilman Kevin Schwickrath at 720-227-5521 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Beyond monetary contributions, garden organizers are also glad to accept donations of supplies and materials — namely, planting dirt, garden tools, seeds, hoses and landscape timber —and volunteer time.
Costs per plot vary between $10 for participation in the Kids Corner to $75 for an extra-large plot. Applications are available at the community garden website, www.fortluptongarden.com.
The next meeting of the garden committee is slated for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 14, at Crossroads Church, 1115 First St.